Doggie Treats: The Human Foods That Are Toxic To Our Furry Friends

chocolate is bad for dogsimage source

Every so often we like to give our dogs a treat or two that is slightly different to their normal feeding routine.

Although it is important to stick to a meal schedule that is healthy, nutritious and well-balanced, as dog lovers, we are not averse to distributing the odd special treat or two!

Most of the time this will come in the form of doggie treats and chews. But sometimes we like them to have some of our human food too.

Do you know that there are some human foods that are extremely toxic if ingested by our canine friends?

Today we’re going to take a look at some of the dangerous human foods out there and why they should never be given to your dog. After all, we all want our dogs to be safe and happy.


So, you’ve chosen super cool new dog bowls and feeders, and you want to get your dog used to them by treating him to some special yummy food. Well, one to definitely avoid is chocolate.

Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine which is extremely poisonous to dogs. It can seriously damage their heart, kidneys, and central nervous system.

If your dog accidentally eats chocolate take him to the vet immediately. There is no antidote, but the vet will make your dog vomit and hopefully get the toxins out of his system.

Raisins And Grapes

It is not known what is in raisins and grapes that make them dangerous to dogs, but they are to be avoided at all costs. Eating them can cause problems with the kidneys and even organ failure.


If you are giving your dog chicken or turkey make sure to take it off the bone and do not feed your dog bones either unless they are big raw one.

Domestic dogs can easily choke on bones or get splinters from the bones caught in their throat. They can also injure your dog’s digestive tract.

Onions, Garlic and Chives

These three are very dangerous to cats but can also be dangerous for dogs.

They can cause red blood cell damage to your pooch and also gastrointestinal irritation. If you are giving your dog chicken or turkey, make sure you have not cooked in with any of these products.


Salt can be toxic to dogs too. It can cause sodium ion poisoning and also extreme thirst and urination.

This goes for salty snacks like crisps, pretzels and salted popcorn too. It is best to avoid altogether for safety.

Signs your dog has had too much salt include vomiting, diarrhea and high body temperature.

doggy treatsimage source


Avocado contains a substance called Persin which can be toxic to a lot of pets including dogs.

It can cause vomiting and diarrhea and also difficulty with breathing.

If you think your dog has eaten avocado take him to the vets immediately.

doggy treatsimage source

Milk, Cheese And Other Dairy Products

Dogs can be very sensitive to milk and dairy products. If you want to cool your dog down on a hot day, don’t share your ice cream.

Instead give him a homemade Popsicle or an ice cube. Milk can cause tummy upsets and problems with digestion.

It can also be the trigger for food allergies and cause uncomfortable itching in your dog.



Be Sociable, Share!