7 Ways to Improve Your Dog’s Bad Breath
While no one expects their dog’s bad breath to smell like roses, it would be nice to avoid having a stinky kiss every day.
So here are some good home remedies for your dog’s bad breath that I like to use for my yellow lab – especially being 10 years old his breath seems to have gotten worse.
Bad breath, which is medically known as halitosis, is a condition that is caused by the build-up of bacteria in your dog’s mouth.
Here’s how to get rid of dog’s bad breath naturally – check them out below.
This bacterium produces a not-so-pleasant odor, but there are some ways you can improve your dog’s bad breath, as you will discover.
- Make sure your dog is on a healthy diet – One of the easiest ways to ensure that your dog does not suffer from bad breath is to make sure that it eats a healthy diet
If your pet currently eats a lot of meat, this will be causing bad breath.Or you could use doggie breath mints too.Of course, there are many other benefits to gain by implementing a healthy diet as well!
- Try using products with chlorhexidine – When looking for sprays and chews for your dog, try to opt for those that contain chlorhexidineThis is a chemical antiseptic, and it will help to keep odor-causing bacteria at bay.
- Give your dog a rawhide bone – A great way to reduce plaque build-up is to give your dog a rawhide bone to chew onYou should never give your dog a cooked bone, as this could cause damage to their intestinal linings if the bone splinters.Make sure you keep a close eye on the rawhide bone so that you can throw it away once it starts to become swallow.Doggie breath mints are a good option as well to freshen their breath immediately.
- Give your dog some safe chew toys – This is a good way to clean your dog’s teeth, as the natural process of chewing will loosen any plaqueWith your dog’s bad breath you could also smear some toothpaste on the toy to enhance the benefits and freshen his breath.
- Invest in dental treats – There are many different types of dog dental treats that are available to boost your dog’s dental health while ensuring their breath smells betterThis is a great way to keep your dog’s gums and teeth clean and healthy, which will naturally result in their breath improving.
- Brush your dog’s teeth at least one per day – Dogs need to have their teeth brushed just like humans do – and if you forget then try some doggie breath mintsHowever, you should not use human toothpaste, as this will make your dog ill.Instead, you need to purchase toothpaste that has been especially formulated for pets.Focus on the upper teeth especially, as this is where plaque tends to build up first.
- Search your dog’s mouth – It is important to search your dog’s mouth for any growths or foreign objectsIt could be that something is stuck in your dog’s teeth, and this is where the smell is coming from.However, if you notice anything else, such as tumor growth, you should take your pet to the vet immediately.
So there you have it; seven ways to improve your dog’s bad breath.
If you follow the tips mentioned above, you should notice a considerable difference.
However, if your dog’s breath is still bad, it is a good idea to book an appointment with to the vet.